Reading and Spelling
We utilize research-based methodologies as recommended by the International Dyslexia Association including but not limited to, The Barton Reading and Spelling System, Slingerland, Lindamood Bell, and Spell-Links for Reading, Writing, and Spelling.
What makes us successful!
- We conduct thorough and complete dyslexia testing.
- We provide direct 1:1 instruction at least 2 times per week with each client.
- We customize the pace of our instruction to help students progress as quickly as they can, but as slowly as the need.
- Students’ progress through an established sequence of reading concepts, moving from the simplest to the more complex.
- All work is completed in a simultaneously multi-sensory fashion. Simply stated, a client sees it, hears it, says it out loud, touches it, and moves it around all at the same time. This increases the ability to engage more areas of the brain so that learning can more easily occur.
- Each client is tested periodically during the instructional process by certified specialists to ensure mastery of the concepts and materials learned.
- Our specialists are highly trained through a recognized expert in the field of dyslexia. Continuing education is ongoing.
- Our specialists are sensitive to the unique needs of struggling readers and are adept at building confidence and self-esteem through the instructional process.
- A client is given ample opportunity for practice so that mastery is achieved for each concept. Mastery is critical for progress through our system. You WILL see progress.
We believe that self-confidence in learning is crucial, to prevent children from becoming discouraged learners. We will design treatment so that your child is always moving forward and gaining confidence, without a sense of being overwhelmed. We will actively seek opportunities to recognize and positively reinforce learning success, and to celebrate small steps and accomplishments along the way to bigger goals. When appropriate, we will educate your child about their learning strengths and differences, so that they can better understand their unique learning profile, and why some areas of learning may be more challenging for them.
"The scores on our daughter’s most recent re-evaluation are jawdropping. She has gone from reading 13 words on a word identification subtest to 113 words in a year!! Her score went from 67 to 107! Her spelling score went from a 77 to a 99! She was at an early first grade reading level last year and is now testing at mid third grade! We are so thankful for sweet Miss Lori and all she’s done for us!"